William Hetherington

๐–๐ข๐ฅ๐ฅ๐ข๐š๐ฆ ๐Œ๐š๐ฑ๐ฐ๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐‡๐ž๐ญ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐ ๐ญ๐จ๐ง died on ๐Œ๐š๐ฒ ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘, ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ”๐Ÿ“. Born on June 4, 1803 in the parish of Troqueer in the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, Scotland, and he studied at the University of Edinburgh. He worked as a tutor for some time, and began to publish literary works, but was ordained to the ministry and in 1836, he was installed as pastor in the parish of Torphichen. He is counted as one of the "Disruption Worthies of 1843," and in the same month of May he published his noteworthy history of the Westminster Assembly. He would later minister with great success in Free Church of Scotland congregations at St. Andrews and Edinburgh. In 1857, Hetherington was appointed to the chair of Apologetics and Systematic Theology at the Free Church College, Glasgow.

He was a poet and an historian, who authored many interesting works, including ๐‘‡๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘™๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐ท๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘š๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘†๐‘˜๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘โ„Ž๐‘’๐‘  ๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘›๐‘‘๐‘’๐‘‘ ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ƒ๐‘Ž๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘™ ๐‘ƒ๐‘œ๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘†๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ (1829); ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐น๐‘ข๐‘™๐‘›๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘‡๐‘–๐‘š๐‘’ (1834); ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘€๐‘–๐‘›๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ'๐‘  ๐น๐‘Ž๐‘š๐‘–๐‘™๐‘ฆ (1838); ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘”โ„Ž๐‘ก๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐ถ๐‘œ๐‘›๐‘›๐‘’๐‘๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘๐‘’๐‘ก๐‘ค๐‘’๐‘’๐‘› ๐ถโ„Ž๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐‘†๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘’ (1840); ๐ป๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐ถโ„Ž๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘†๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ (1841); ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐ป๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘š๐‘–๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘’๐‘Ÿ ๐ด๐‘ ๐‘ ๐‘’๐‘š๐‘๐‘™๐‘ฆ (1843); ๐‘‡โ„Ž๐‘’ ๐ป๐‘–๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘ฆ ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘…๐‘œ๐‘š๐‘’ (1849); and ๐‘ƒ๐‘œ๐‘’๐‘š๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘‰๐‘Ž๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘ข๐‘  ๐‘†๐‘ข๐‘๐‘—๐‘’๐‘๐‘ก๐‘  (1851). He also edited the works of George Gillespie, and the practical works of John Willison, and was the founder and editor of the Free Church Magazine, and he wrote the preface to the ๐ด๐‘ข๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘ฃ๐‘’ ๐ธ๐‘ฅ๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘–๐‘œ๐‘› ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐‘ƒ๐‘Ÿ๐‘–๐‘›๐‘๐‘–๐‘๐‘™๐‘’๐‘  ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘กโ„Ž๐‘’ ๐น๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘’ ๐ถโ„Ž๐‘ข๐‘Ÿ๐‘โ„Ž ๐‘œ๐‘“ ๐‘†๐‘๐‘œ๐‘ก๐‘™๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ (1845).

He died at his home in Glasgow, but was buried at the Grange Cemetery in Edinburgh. He is remembered as a man of many gifts who labored using them all for the service of Christ and his Kirk. Log College Press

Recent Sermons
See All
Most Popular Sermons
See All